We get it… shopping for pet food is complicated! It’s hard enough to navigate seemingly hundreds of different brands, flavors, and various types of protein. Now, on top of choosing the perfect diet for your furry friend, you’re also asking yourself “should I be feeding my pet a whole grain diet”?
Just like your shopping experience, the answer is more complicated than a simple “yes” or “no”, but Solid Gold® is here to help!
What’s So Different About Whole Grain Diets?
The key element to recognize when understanding the nutritional profiles of your pet’s food is that all dogs and cats are different, and they will process the food they eat differently. The different ingredients used in whole grain versus grain free diets can affect your pet’s ability to turn food into energy. For some dogs, whole grain ingredients like pearled barley or brown rice can be easier to digest and help avoid an upset stomach.
When launching Solid Gold, founder Sissy McGill utilized the healthiest ingredients available to create transformative nutrition for her pets. This is a tradition we are proud to continue today. Sissy found that corn, wheat and soy often led to poor digestibility and skin and coat issues and for that reason, none of our whole grain items contain corn, wheat, or soy which are all common in many pet food recipes. Inspired by Sissy’s vision, whole grains in Solid Gold diets have specific nutritional purposes and are never a filler ingredient. Solid Gold does not process whole grains to remove the bran and germ, so our whole grains remain rich sources of fiber, B vitamins and minerals like iron.
Healthy Whole Grains for Dogs
In 1974, Sissy created Hund-N-Flocken®, our flagship dry dog food recipe which has fueled millions of dogs with a combination of grass-fed lamb and healthy whole grains like brown rice and pearled barley. Hund-N-Flocken also comes in a wet canned recipe.
With the success of this flagship formula, Solid Gold saw the importance of offering whole grain recipes for dogs of all shapes and sizes! Other whole grain dog food options from Solid Gold include:
- Wee Bit™ dry dog food is perfect for your toy & small breed pups. Formulated with real bison, healthy fats and heathy whole grains like brown rice and pearled barley, we’ve packed a lot of nutrients ingredients into a convenient, bite-sized kibble.
- Star Chaser™ dry dog kibble is made special with a perfect balance of chicken, healthy whole grain brown rice & pearled barley, and whole superfoods make your dog shine. Also available in a wet canned recipe.
- Mmillennia® dry dog food supports your pup’s overall health by combining high-quality beef and ocean fish meal, as well as whole grains for healthy digestion.
- Holistique Blendz® mature adult dry dog food is specially crafted with controlled levels of minerals like calcium, phosphorus and sodium, as well as a single meat protein of ocean fish meal for pups with protein sensitivities. Packed with healthy whole grains, your senior dog will reclaim their glory days.
- Wolf Cub® dry dog food for puppies is perfect for younger dogs who have a lot of growing to do. Crafted with controlled levels of calcium for bone development, real bison and packed with healthy whole grains, this recipe will keep your pup coming back for more.
- Wolf King® dry dog food will feed your dog’s inner beast with real deboned bison, healthy fats, and whole grains. This recipe is designed to help rebuild and maintain your dog’s muscles and is great for pups with chicken or protein sensitivities.
- Fit and Fabulous™ with Fresh Caught Alaskan Pollock adult weight control dry dog food combines fresh caught, omega rich Alaskan Pollock, whole superfoods, and healthy whole grains. This recipe is low fat and low calorie, perfect for supporting your dog’s healthy weight.
Healthy Whole Grains for Cats
Unlike dogs, cats are obligate carnivores. However, like dogs, our furry cat pals can easily digest and utilize the carbohydrates found in cooked, whole grains. Apart from rare food allergies, cats can benefit from the presence of healthy, whole grains in their diet. Other cats may do better and benefit more from a grain free diet, which is why Solid Gold offers both options: grain/gluten free and a healthy, whole grain dry cat food. Our first cat food was Katz-n-Flocken, which was inspired by our founder, Sissy McGill. Its combination of healthy whole grains (including brown rice and pearled barley) along with our unique blend of functional superfoods, probiotics, and omega fatty acids creates a cat food as unique as its name.
All Pets are Different, Re-Explore Whole Grains with Solid Gold
Solid Gold was founded on the belief that food can support your pet’s system at its core for lifelong health. For that reason, we are proud to offer both whole grain and grain-free diets as both options provide different nutritional profiles that can affect the digestive health of your pet differently. You can rest assured that all of our healthy whole grain diets are formulated to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles and that all of our recipes cleanse, balance, and fuel for gut health and overall immune support.